Monday, February 18, 2008

Over-caring

In caring for others, one must be willing to make sacrifices; sacrifices that are unselfish so that we learn to put others’ needs above our own. Yet, there are times when we may be bringing about more harm than good in learning to say ‘no’ to our own wants and desires.

In our efforts to give the most excellent care possible to the people around us, especially to our loved ones, we may sometimes fall into the snare of sacrificing more than what is required, which then leads to the cultivation of unwholesome & detrimental choices and practices for our body. Soon, we find ourselves growing weary, not only physically, but spiritually and emotionally. Unintentionally, we have neglected our bodily needs and rest.

One must and needs to realize that self-negligence is not the kind of self-sacrificing attitude that God looks for in our service to Him and His people. For in neglecting our bodily needs, we risk shutting down a place in our soul where God's dreams and gifts are waiting to be revealed. In fact, God is more concerned about the work He can do in us than through us. Hence, the best care that we can offer to others can only flow through when we decide to rely on God’s unlimited power to work through us as our power is limited & incomplete.

It is a lesson and reminder I need constantly. I need it because I tend to forget that it is ultimately God’s ministry and work which I’m involved in. I also need it because I tend to forget that He knows what’s best for me and the people around me. Thus, I pray that the Holy Spirit will continually help me, remind me that it is the Father whom I need to turn to first for help and provision for my needs, as well as the needs of others. I truly need His strength and wisdom so that I will not be enslaved by any unnecessary expectations to be perfect.

1 comment:

Alvin said...

Hi Serene
back to aus ady?
nice article
btw can send me the group photo we took in chern yih's house during cny?
my email: alvinteo87@hotmail.com
thanks
take care