Monday, March 3, 2008

Human support

Not everyone is able to endure pain alone. Not everyone is strong enough to fight against temptation without help from others. Not everyone can pick up their self-confidence easily and face life struggles unaided. Not everyone is courageous enough to take that first step of faith to find healing- be it for life, body, soul or spirit- without support from people around them.

I am one of them. I am one of those, who cannot take on life challenges single-handedly. But, often times, I still try to make a way out of ruthless situations alone. I’m afraid of troubling others. I’m afraid that I may become too dependant on other people’s support that I start taking advantage of them. Accordingly, I only go to others when I’m really at my worst crossroads.

However, these days, God has been showing me that it is alright to seek human help and support. Jesus did too. That dark night in Gethsemane, as Jesus prayed, He looked to Peter, James and John for prayerful alertness and compassion. Although the disciples failed to support Jesus just as they were told, the main thing that God wanted to teach me was that- if Jesus looked to His disciples for support in His dark hour, how much more we need one another to go through life difficulties.

So, it is ok to seek help. In fact, it is good and in some situations, it may even bring more benefits to the people who are helping us solve our problems. Hence, let us be willing to solicit people for help and support; to pray for us and with us. Also, in turn, let us be alert for opportunities to offer our support to others who are suffering. We truly need each other.

2 comments:

Sarah.... said...

Serene, you know, God has been teaching me this lesson too recently. I'm always so used to being in the position of helping others, and not used to asking or receiving help from people. It's always good to be reminded of how weak, vulnerable and needy I can be. Thanks for this blogpost.

serene said...

Hey Sarah, glad to hear it's serving you as a reminder too..I hope you'll have a good spring break! hugs~