Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Being there

I have to admit that at times, I struggle to give people my full attention when I truly ought to, especially when I’m with the people I love. I make sure I lay aside a certain amount of time to spend with them, yet occasionally, in the midst of spending time with them, I find my mind drifting off to the future, planning about what needs to be done next and how I am going to do it.

I want to be able to focus on the present, to make each moment count not only for myself, but for others and most importantly, for God. But then, I have this tendency of falling into the trap of getting too caught up with doing things that I start losing the sensitivity I should have towards other’s needs. I know clearly, that while some of the activities on my to-do list may be good and fine, I should never let them interfere with God’s plans.

Maybe you’re like me; we sometimes struggle being really there for the ones we love. We struggle to empathize with them, or even share in their joy because we let the noise of empty worries clutter our ears & heart. The only solution to our problem is to trade all our activities for His priorities, every single day; more than ever, first thing in the morning. As Mathew 6:33 says, “But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you”.

Being a godly Christian is not about being a Superman or a Superwoman by the world’s standards. Rather, it is about being a humble and teachable person, who is sensitive to the supernatural leading of the Holy Spirit. No doubt that we will still have many tasks that we need to accomplish, but maybe we can learn to prioritize our to-do list, complete what we can and let God deal with the rest. If they have to wait, then so be it.

Every activity needs to be evaluated and re-evaluated in light of the Kingdom’s agenda, for the influence that we should leave on others should be one of love and attention, not on completed task list- this is the true essence of being there for the ones you love.

1 comment:

Wei Zhi said...

yea... you are so right with this. my mind nowadays work like an automated daily planner... always thinking bout the nxt step haha ^^

speaking of nxt steps, mayb we shud get everyone out for lunch soon b4 we get too bz again lol, i juz finished a bunch of stuff so feeling abit lightened =)