Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The utmost pursuit

Yes, no doubt you are very capable. You manage your time well. You lead bible studies, you teach in Sunday School and you coordinate prayer meetings. Even in planning and organizing events, you are efficient. You bear much more responsibilities compared to others because of your high level of competence.

But, honestly, have you taken time to stop and consider whether you are pursuing your own agendas in some way as you do His work? Are you sure it is God that you are pursuing and not ministry? Do you still feel good about yourselves even when things on your to-do list have not been accomplished?

Sometimes, in the midst of our pursuit for success in ministry, we tend to forget that the one thing God cares about most is our pursuit of Jesus. Those dreams and plans we have may just be out of pure and simple desires to want to do great things for Him, but there are times when we let activities and busyness cloud our minds that we start losing our focus on Jesus.

God never is in a hurry to fulfill His dreams. As much as He would like to see us put our abilities and talents to good use, He doesn’t want impatience to get the better hold of us either. We need to realize that His ultimate dream for you & I, is to become more like Jesus each day. It is when we learn to embrace this dream and make Christ all that we long for, seek after, love and adore, that all the desires of our hearts will come to pass.

I’m glad that God never ever tries to think that He’s like us, nor does He let our agenda and expectations thwart His plans of what He wants us to be like. I can’t imagine what my life would be like if God changes the plans He already has for me. He knows me so much better than I know myself- my needs, my wants, my wishes, my everything! He knows me perfectly inside out & upside down; and He’s got just the right plan to let me enjoy the fullness of life. All I need to do is to surrender my all to Him and then, patiently look forward to see how He will grow me as a result.

2 comments:

Sarah.... said...

I like your thought-provoking question, about whether we're pursuing ministry or God. Often we equate the two as the same thing, and then our motivations get mixed up. It's so easy to fall into this trap. Thanks for the reminder.

serene said...

i'm glad they do provoke your thinking as well.. at least i know that my struggle is not uncommon.. =P