Monday, December 10, 2007

The Serenity Prayer

God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And, the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is,
not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

This prayer has been stuck as a magnet on my fridge for years, but I never really took notice of it till now. Perhaps I never saw suffering or hardships the way I see it now- an essential part of a Christian walk- thus, the prayer did not seem as real and meaningful to me like now.

Indeed Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. I want to be able to live one day at a time, enjoying each moment. After all, you know what’s best for me. So, do tune my heart that I may willingly and thankfully receive whatever you give me in life. Wherever you place me, every moment & every condition, may I learn to view things from your perspective and depend on your instructions & teachings; counsel & guidance.

Grant me too, dear Lord, the courage to take the necessary actions that can strengthen my walk with you. Even though these actions may sometimes seem unpleasant to me, I pray for your strength to enable me to do them. Last but not least, I pray for your wisdom, so that I may know the difference between Your truths about life and illusions of the Evil one.

In Jesus’ Name,
Amen.

No comments: