Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Conflicting natures

It’s truly not easy to want to do what is right. Like Paul, we can will it, but we can't do it. We decide to do good, but we don't really do it. We decide not to do bad, but then we do it anyway. Our good intentions usually don't result in actions. Such is the conflict between grace and corruption in the heart of a renewed sanctified soul. ~Romans 7:17-25

Perhaps like me, you have been struggling with an attitude or a habit that you know is wrong, and you decided that you want to change. Yet after a while, you find yourself right back where you first started. Then, you start feeling frustrated and angry at yourself for not trying harder, especially when your actions unintentionally hurt the people whom you love dearly.

However, it is in those times that I am reminded that I need something more than just my own effort and strength. I need to rely on Jesus’ promises and have faith in them so that I can find strength to fight against life-destructive thoughts and habits. We will always be in a battle against temptations and negative thoughts, but we need not give in to them. There is so much better things which we can consciously focus on in their place - thoughts that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable; anything that is excellent or praiseworthy ~Phil. 4:8-9.

In God, there is always hope to change even if the struggle have been the same issue for a long time. Nonetheless, we are reminded too, that a changed life does not come instantaneously, for recovery is a step-by-step process. I only pray that in the process of recovery, I will not lose fixing my eyes on Jesus.

2 comments:

deb said...

hi dearie,
thanks for the email :) I'm so proud of you. *pats on the back* .... & hugs of course :)

Sorry havent quite had time to sit down to reply... always trying to entertain my sis, or trying to do something like pack so that i don't waste my time here. I will, however, try to email you as soon as I can :)

You're much loved!

Wei Zhi said...

I am sure God sends all of us .. your friends to watch your back 2 =)

dun b so hard on urself lei, we got your back!

take care =)