Saturday, August 8, 2009

Specially for the newlyweds

To be honest, I don’t have many sweet memories of growing up with my kor as he was quite a grumpy, hot-tempered boy, who didn’t like to smile. He was fierce and must always have things his way. And so, You Shen (my younger brother) and I never quite enjoy being around him. But, things slowly changed when he started studying in Perth, and changed even more after he met Deborah. He became a more caring and considerate person, as well as a protective and sociable brother- someone whom I became very proud of. It was a total 180 degrees positive change in his character and it was this change that slowly brought us closer together. We began opening up to one another, sharing our personal life stories and fun times together.

On the other hand, I remember getting to know Deborah at an Overseas Christian Fellowship camp about four years ago. We were roommates during camp and she was certainly one roommate I’ll never forget because I had never had a roommate who could sleep so much and so heavily like her. Every morning, she would have to wake up earlier than me for either music practice or breakfast duty, but somehow, I would always be the one who end up waking up earlier. Did she have an alarm clock? Yup…but it didn’t mater whether she had one or not. Not because she didn’t bother using it, but because she would sleep right through the alarm anyway or snooze it for uncountable times until I woke her up personally. I don’t think it bothered her at all her alarm clock was disturbing others as she was just too deep in her sleep.

But, although I knew she had an abnormal sleeping behaviour, I could see my kor falling for her, for she didn’t seem like a high maintenance girl who needs to go shopping every week. More importantly, she was a committed Christian who had and still has a soft and gentle personality, as well as a caring and considerate heart. And so, when my brother told me that he was going after Deborah, I was more delighted than surprised to hear that.

Ever since then, I’ve had the privilege to see them grow closer and deeper in their relationship with each other as time went by. I’ve seen them learn to like opposites interests so that they may share and experience the same things with one another. My brother has started learning how to eat spicy food, something which I know he would never have done if not for Deborah. Similarly, Deborah has learnt to like watching Australian footy because my brother enjoys it. I’ve also seen them learn how to celebrate in each other’s successes and carry each other’s burdens, which is a very encouraging thing to witness.

From friendship to courtship to loveship to marriage. No words can express how happy and relieved I am to be able to see them both finally married today.

Dearest kor and Deborah, today is a day you will always remember. A brand new beginning, the start of a new chapter in your life, with moments to cherish and treasure. Although there will be times when you both disagree, these will surely be outweighed by pleasures. So, live joyfully forever as lovers and friends, and as husband and wife. And with God’s grace, may your lives together be always blessed with the same kind of love, joy, excitement and hope He has given you today.

1 comment:

deb said...

Thanks dearie :) Sorry for very late response arh! I slow leh. hehehe...... your speech was so touching :) I am still having dreams about the wedding that has passed! haha... but it was the happiest day of my life la. heh :) Thanks for being w me the night before also - the chaotic night ;P Luv u!