Friday, January 5, 2007

The Gifts of Christmas

At Christmas, many of us have nicely decorated Christmas tree in our homes, and under the tree, we prepare many gifts for the people we love. But, these gifts are only temporary. Although each gift has a value to it, they cannot and do not last forever.

In the Bible, we read of another tree, the cross. Jesus was crucified on that tree for you and for me. It was our sins that nailed Him there. Yet, under that same tree, Jesus gives us the best gifts anyone could ever receive. The gifts, which are laid beneath this tree, are of eternal value- the gift of salvation, the gift of freedom from the slavery of sin, the gift of eternal life. Jesus came that we may be filled with the unspeakable joy of the Lord; the peace that surpasses all human understanding; and the hope that will help us endure, together with faith & love, right to the very end (Romans 15:13).

I thank God for all the various Christmas gifts that I have received from friends and loved ones. I am touched by their thoughtfulness. But more so, I thank God for giving us the greatest gift of all, Jesus, that we might experience Christmas every day in our hearts.

Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay,
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray!
Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care,
And take us to heaven, to live with Thee there.
Amen.

No comments: