Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Welcoming 2008

Everyone seems so excited to usher in the New Year. I simply love their enthusiasm. There are more smiles and joyful looks on people’s faces, and for a brief moment, I felt as if all the problems, heartaches and struggles in the old year, be it theirs or mine, have disappeared; a discolored memory. No feelings of regret or guilt of what has happened; only eagerness to start a new year, a new start, a fresh beginning.

It reminded me of what Paul said, “Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:13-14). In spite of all the failures that we’ve had, we have to and can only move forward; there is no room for backward moves.

For the world, the celebration of the new year is merely another huge money-making holiday event, but personally, I want it to be something more than that. I want it to be a time where I renew my dedication to God once more. I know for sure that the new year will definitely present me with many demanding and challenging times again, and to be honest, I am afraid to think about them. Nonetheless, I just want to remember all that He has done in faithfully seeing me through the past year and find assurance in His promises.

After all, God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." This promise is probably more than enough to celebrate the new year ahead with full assurance and joy. So we say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" ~Hebrews 13:5,6

1 comment:

Wei Zhi said...

Happy New YEar ! ^^

i guess my smses din get through to anyone that nite... it was too crazy in taipei haha