Thursday, May 22, 2008

"Helpaholics"

I’ve always known the words ‘alcoholics’ and ‘workaholics’, but never ‘helpaholics’. It’s a new word I picked up from one of my lecture notes last week. Like the former two, ‘helpaholics’ also live an addictive lifestyle; just not to alcohol or work, but helping others. According to Carmen Renee Berry, ‘helpaholics’ are usually caught in the “Messiah trap”, a two-sided lie.

Side 1 of the lie says, “If I don't do it, it won't get done".

Side 2 of the lie says, "Everyone else's needs take priority over mine."

As I read this, I couldn’t help but wonder if this trap is the chief reason why many Christians face burnouts in ministry today. On the surface, all our loving actions appear gracious and noble; godly. But, in actuality, this “Messiah trap” is no more than a misleading and deadly lie that Satan wants us to believe.

In my life, I see the tendency of me falling into this trap time and again although many times, clear symptoms show to forewarn me of the danger. Lack of sleep & rest. Constant worries. Quick hurtful feelings. Self-denial, and feelings of ‘dryness’ to daily practices. All these symptoms are the red alerts in my life. Yet, every now and then, I still feign to ignore them, and I eventually find myself out of balance as I pursue to do God’s work. On the other hand, I find that when I make it a persistent habit to seek God for renewal of mind and strength, my heart experience more joy and consistent delight.

Perhaps for us, ‘helpaholics’, the one & only therapist we need to see is God himself, the Healer. For only He can help us break free from unrealistic expectations and grant us a fresh & right perspective to helping and caring for others. And guess what, we don’t even need to schedule and wait for weeks to see Him. Right now, right here, wherever we are, we can choose to meet with Him. And I believe, as we continually seek Him for counsel & advice, as well as for refreshing moments, we will find His unlimited power working through us to duly help others.