Monday, May 5, 2008

Contentment begins in the mind

I know I have the tendency to become an easily-irritated & discontented person when I start channeling all my focus to my own plans, instead of God’s. Being crabby and frustrated about everything becomes my normal actions, especially when something doesn’t fit quite right with my plans. But, when I start focusing on all that God has done for me again, right down to the nitty-gritty things like having a comfy pillow to sleep on at night, I turn into a more grateful person. My heart and my mind are filled with more peace and joy.

This made me realized one thing- that contentment begins in the mind. It isn’t God who needs to do the changing by adding new things into our life to satisfy our wants before we can feel contented; it is us who needs to do the changing. We need to learn and train our mind to focus on things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and admirable, like what Paul encourages us to do in Phil 4:8.

Seeing that God’s word is the only source of good, right, and pure things, it hence, becomes fundamental that we make it a discipline to find daily strength from the Bible. It is only as our thoughts become more fixed on God’s word that self-centered thinking starts to fade away.

It is a real challenge to stay committed to reading His Word and communicating with Him daily. But I pray that the Holy Spirit will help me stay true to my commitment. I really want to be like Paul, to learn to be content whatever the circumstances…and to be able to confidently say that “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”. ~Phil 4:11-13

No comments: